About us Our history Cam Sight since 1945 The post-war years saw the Society moving into new ventures as it now worked with other providers to improve the support provided. Many members of the its community, paid staff, volunteers and those who benefited from their services have left accounts or spoken of their relationships within the community.Their observations and memories have enriched our knowledge of this period. One of the Society’s first measures was to establish a home for elderly blind people. Money came from the Society’s own funds, donations from Cambridge colleges and a grant of £1,100 from the R.N.I.B. Called ‘Blantyre’, it opened in 1946 at 24 Glisson Road. Seven years later, it was enlarged to house six men and twelve women. In 1954, a second establishment, ‘Kendal’ was opened at 35 Glisson Road. This building housed seven women in need of special care. In 1964 and 1978 more properties were purchased nearby. Individuals were expected to pay rent, but shortfalls were made up by the council whilst the Society took on the responsibility of maintaining the properties. By 1992, twenty-seven residents were living in the Society’s Cambridge properties. Photos: Blantyre House (left) and news clipping about closure of 'The Blind Shop' (right) The 1980s brought substantial changes as the blind workers’ shop closed its doors in 1982. The Society refocused on visiting visually impaired people in their homes and providing rehabilitation, training, the provision of special equipment and, as always companionship to all its members. In 1984 it developed a resource centre with funding from the Manpower Services Commission. The Society’s manager and two community workers were joined by dozens of volunteers who dedicated themselves to the growing number of people in need of their services. By the early 1990s, 650 blind and partially-sighted people were being assisted. It was at this point that the name Cam Sight was adopted. Increasing numbers of people needed support and new technologies available meant that the 1990s were years of change for Cam Sight. In 1992, the Glisson Road house was closed and sold and the Society’s headquarters moved briefly to Oakington before settling in its current home in Green End Road in 1996. It opened an office and equipment centre at in Chatteris in 2008, which in 2018 moved to Chapel Road in Wisbech. The work of Cam Sight was supported by the development of a team of specialist Sensory Social Workers. The scope of the Resource Centre also evolved as new kinds of low vision equipment increased the independence of visually impaired people. New forms of technology became available and a Technology Trainer was appointed to teach computer skills. Monthly information sessions were introduced to help newly registered people access support and resources available.